Monday, August 24, 2009

For Every Step Forward...


The whole idea of taking the summer off from festivals and the Sunday Market was to get "caught up" on my inventory...that has only worked some-what for me. Jeff and I did have 1.5 fabulous vacations but when it comes to building inventory...oh well.
I went to the Market this past Sunday and was extremely low on inventory but for quite an extraordinary reason...you see the Maitland Art Center opened up an entire showcase in their Museum Store for me! Much to my surprise I was told the store was looking for students to submit work for the stores inventory. (When Jeff and I joined the Center the store would not except student OR teachers work but it seems that there was a change of heart and Dierdre has been getting the word out.)
I submitted some of my pieces then sat back and waited, low and behold Dierdre sent me an e-mail asking me to stop by with some items for the store! (YEE HA! I must say I am so excited to have this opportunity!)
Dierdre!
Once I got to the store I had a chance to catch up a bit and look at all the other work that was there, when I turned around Dierdre had emptied the entire front showcase for me!

I mixed my pieces in with some beautiful boxes created by another local artist, Kaye Hanna, they are just spectacular!

If you live locally I strongly suggest you stop by the Maitland Art Center...not because they are carrying my work but because places like the MAC don't usually survive times like this. They are little fortress' of hope for communities of people who work to share their love and their vision with anyone who will take the time to look.

Finally...Thank you to the all the Members and Board of the MAC for believing in their students!

5 comments:

Lois said...

Awesome news, Barb! Congratulations. Now to get your inventory back up ...

Kaerie Faerie said...

Hey that is fabulous news, so happy for you, e-mail me when you have a chance, I have so much stuff to catch up on
Karey

Allisunny S. said...

I wish I lived nearby: beautiful and congrats, my dear!!!

Two B's said...

Thanks Ladies! The shop is slow as you can imagine in this economy but it's the opportunity that I love! Yes, Lois, I'm off right now!

Unknown said...

Thanks for telling me about your etsy sites and your blog! I purchased a turquoise ring today at the Farmer's market. I just love it! Thanks also for that helpful info about my new raku vase:))
I think your work is lovely and I see why you got the spot at the art center. Best wishes.